Monday, August 11, 2008

Basic Healthy Cupcake/Muffin Recipe

Hi, hope everyone is enjoying the Olympics. I was driving today when I heard the news on the radio that Libby Trickett got her gold, I actually had tears welling up in my eyes listening to it, it was so moving. Yesterday when we were in the city I saw a Phelps Lane which I never noticed was there before, now all of a sudden it stood out! This rose (Tamora) is just one of those buds from the bouquet in the last post which opened up. Anyway, I just wanted to share this super simple recipe which I've found so handy, which I never thought to share because it's one of those recipes I use all the time and don't think to share. It's actually a cupcake and muffin interchangeable recipe. I've tried many buttery cupcake recipes and found them just a bit too greasy. I love this one as it is healthier and the best thing is it's extra easy to make and very satisfying for the tummy and tastebuds. I like the mix-all-in-one-bowl aspect to it, no need to beat sugar and butter together first, that sort of thing. You can truly whip these up in five minutes. You can add apples, any other fruit or berries you like, choc chips etc or make them bigger as muffins. Here I made them as a cross between cupcakes and muffins, they are cupcake size but I didn't want cupcake frosting, I added apples and white choc and milk choc chips instead.

Here's the recipe:
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup caster/ baker's sugar
1 egg (beaten)
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Mix all ingredients together to a smooth batter. Add whatever fruit or anything you like into batter. Spoon batter mix into paper cups, bake at 180C for 8-10 minutes or until cake is golden brown and springy when touched. This recipe makes 18 small cupcakes, 11 medium cupcakes and 6 muffins. Simply double or triple the recipe if larger amount is desired, this recipe works well doubled or tripled.Ok, would you like tea or coffee with that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They definitely looks tasty!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

And I have always loved the shape of the Tamora!!!

Hubby started a few varieties of tomatoes from seed, and he lost track of which were which along the way. Hahaha. We too are guessing those baby tomatoes are romas! We will see how big they continue to get. :)

Anonymous said...

Haha, Rosy - I didn't know you liked to read while eating too. Maybe it's also the fact that you are always on the go -- and you just like to steal as much time as you can to read up on things. I know I am that way! ;)

The mix-and-match must be because of looking at your beautiful pictures too long. Some influence has to trickle down somehow, some way. ;)

Yeah, I am an herb person! I dream of having an extensive herb garden. Have you ever heard of "Herb Garden Design" by Ethne Clarke? I love that book.

Victoria Lynn said...

Hmm..I think I'll have coffee, please! With lots of cream and sugar. Those look so yummy, thanks for sharing! Your photos are so beautiful! Hope you're having a good winter heading into spring! Bless you, Victoria Lynn