Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Maggie's Garden Muffins

I found this recipe in the Muffin Bible and the name caught my fancy. "Maggie's Garden Muffins". So I thought I'd try and bake them since the ingredients looked so healthy and I love zucchini, herbs, olive oil, pine nuts and cheese. The fabulous thing is they are all in one muffin.
Since these are Garden Muffins, I decided to help them appear "gardenish" by giving them the company of roses and herbs out of my garden. I think they feel right at home alongside all these garden buddies.
I was delighted to see that even the kids loved eating them, here is how to make them:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup wholemeal plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 egg, plus 2 egg whites
2/3 cup skim milk (I used full cream)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup grated zhuccini
3 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
1 tsp crushed garlic
1/3 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup pine nuts (you have to have the pine nuts, they are soooo good in these!)

(1) Preheat oven to 220C. Grease muffin tins.

(2) Sift flours, baking powder and salt in large bowl.

(3) In a smaller bowl, whisk egg, egg whites, milk and oil until well blended. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, mix gently.

(4) Mix grated zucchini, basil, garlic, cheese and nuts into the mixture. Fill three-quarters full in muffin tins. (One of the tins I used made small bite-size muffins, great for kids!)

(5) Bake for 20 minutes. It's that simple!

Makes around 10-12 muffins. Edit: Please note that I made a mistake with the amount of Baking Powder, it should be 1 tablespoon instead of 1 teaspoon, which I've changed in the ingredients above. Sorry for the inconvenience caused by this.

5 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Mmm.. that is one yummy looking muffin. Will definitely have to try that recipe.
Great photos too
Alison

Kelly said...

These look delicious...and very healthy. Thank you for sharing, I think I'm going to try these.

MeMeMe said...

The look very inviting especially with the roses and the lavenders :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosy,

Very interesting! I don't think I have ever taste salty muffins... but like you said, they look so yummy AND nutritious!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Donna Lynn said...

This is just so wonderful! I adore visiting you each time, you always have beautiful food and flowers, a knock out combo!
Have a blessed week!!!
Hugs, Donna Lynn