Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Lampshade Tutorial

Some of you have e-mailed me to ask me to do a lampshade tutorial. Well, it just so happens that I had another lampshade I wanted to do for our music room/office, so I made sure to remember to take step-by-step pictures when I finally got time to tackle it.
You'll need: 1 lampshade frame, fabric craft glue, or hot glue gun, braid, trim or fringing according to your liking and paper for making a swatch.
First up, you'd want to cut out swatches of fabric for the divisions on the frame. Make sure you leave 1cm extra along the sides for glueing and folding. You can trace the shape on a piece of paper and use it repeatedly to cut the swatches out, this way all your pieces will be nice and even. Then you'd glue the swatches onto the frame, piece by piece, making sure the fabric is pulled tight on all sides. This is what it looks like when all the pieces are glued on.Then to make it look better, glue on braid or fringing of your choice. I used dark brown biased binding for this one, (below) and off-white pom-pom fringing for the bottom and top and braid for the sides for this one. (below) Here it is, all finished and lit up at night. Easy peasy, right?

8 comments:

Fleurette said...

Bonjour, your lamp is a wonderful!
Your pictures are again very beautiful and inspiring!!!
Bisous du coeur
Fleurette

Ana said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. It seems easy enough. Now I want to make one. :-) Love how the brown trim looks. A very simple yet elegant look. Tres chic. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful day.

Hugs,
♥Ana

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour! I so enjoyed this tutorial, you make it look so easy. I'll try this project soon.

maría cecilia said...

Good night, lovely lamp shade... to me not easy as you say, my hands just work in the garden, can´t do anything else.
Muchos cariños
María Cecilia

beachvintage.com said...

What a wonderful blog you have and thanks for sharing this project. Thanks also for dropping by Beach Vintage and leaving a comment. xx

Alison Gibbs said...

Great tutorial, thanks for sharing it with us
Alison

Rita said...

Hi,
Great tutorial. Need to redo my reading nook lamp shade and your tutorial happens to be just what I needed.
Thanks for sharing!
Warmely
Rita

Anonymous said...

I've been drooling over your roses. Now, I've got to follow. You have a lovely home and lovely blog.