Monday, June 22, 2009

Lemony Sweet Treat

I came across this recipe in one of my cookbooks ages ago, but never attempted to make it. So when I was looking for a sweet treat to bake, I decided this would be it. I love fruit in desserts and citrusy ones are one of my favourites. With this one the actual fruit is not visible, but you could say it has a lot of Vitamin C goodness in it. Lemons always remind me of summer, sunshine and cheerfulness. So in winter, with a hot cup of tea, these Lemon Sunburst bars really help maintain some of that. Here it is up closer, doesn't it look cheerful? The not-so-strong winter sun shining in through the windows, it's so precious. That was a nice tea break, now if you'll excuse me, I'll have to go and continue with the rest of the preparation for dinner, we've got company tonight. Enjoy your week, till next time. Recipe for Lemon Sunburst

1 cup (150g) self raising flour
1 and 1/4 cups (185) plain flour
2 cups (320) icing sugar
250g butter, chopped
4 eggs
1 and 1/2 cups (330g) caster/ baker's sugar
1/2 cup (125ml) lemon juice
1 Tbsp finely grated lemon rind (I did not use this as my children don't like it)

(1) Grease 20cm x 30cm tray/lamington pan, line with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edge of pan.
(2) Rub chopped butter into the self-raising flour, 1 cup of the plain flour and 1/2 cup of the icing sugar until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Press over base of prepared pan; bake in 170C oven for about 20 minute; or until firm; cool in pan.
(3) Whisk eggs, caster sugar, remaining plain flour, rind (if using) and 1/4 cup of the juice in medium bowl; pour over biscuit base. Bake in 170C oven for 30 minutes, or until firm; cool in pan.
(4) Stir remaining icing sugar and remaining juice in a small bowl until smooth; spread over slice, cut into bars or slices when set.

13 comments:

Pom Pom said...

I like your blog! Yum! Lemony goodness! I'll have to try this recipe! Smile.

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks so yummy- I have a recipe similar but it uses cream cheese and I don't always have that on hand so I am going to try this one! Just gotta love the taste of lemon! Such pretty pictures!

blessings
mary

FEDERICA said...

Super super yummy!!! Have a wonderful Monday!

CIELO said...

I never seen roses as pretty and perfect as yours... I spend hours working in the garden and on my roses, and they never seen as perfect... there is always something... mildew, black spots.. you name it.... I'm learning the green way now, see if organic gardening works better ;) So good to see you Rosy!

cielo

Allidink said...

That sounds so good! I love lemon! I made my dad lemon bars for Father's Day LOL. Thanks for the recipe :)

All the best,
Allison

Anonymous said...

Rosy,

This is a lot like the Lemon Bars I make over here.... I was just thinking about them today when hubby asked me what I would like for dinner. He was getting us some sandwiches, and I told him that the lemon bars would be the perfect dessert to top off our meal! Now, I really have to make some after seeing yours! :)

Tiina of livingConcept said...

yummy yummy, i'd like to have some with my coffee right now :) have a lovely day!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

As always and forever, I will enjoy your beautiful roses! Your blog is always so refreshing!

Hugs!
Maryjane

WendyBee said...

Yummmmmm! This looks like a variation of classic Lemon Bars, which I have always loved. I have never, however, topped it with a glaze! My mouth is watering! Oh My!

Tammy said...

I have just come from the Beehive Cottage blog, and am so glad I did. What lovely, lovely roses...your home, too is beautiful! And a new lemon dessert recipe to boot...thanks so much!

FEDERICA said...

Thank you darling for your sweet comments! It's great to know that people loves what I post in my blog, it's really rewarding. Thanks so much!
I can't wait to share with all of you my own home decorated by myself! Hope soon!

Have a wonderful day!

lady jicky said...

That looks like a lovely lemon slice.
I have just pruned my roses ( I am in victoria) when do you do yours?

di_ani said...

Very nice and good is ...
There are prizes for you - to me.
Nice day, Diana